How to send an electronic invoice
Learn how to send a valid electronic invoice in Norway.
Published: 02. Jun 2014, Last modified: 02. Oct 2020
You can create valid electronic invoices in Norway in two ways:
- using your internal ERP or accounting systems
- using an approved invoicing portal provider
Step by step guide to creating an invoice using your own internal ERP or accounting systems
- Create an invoice formatted according to the legal requirements documented in the invoice specification guide.
Generate an invoice using an accounting system that can produce EHF or PEPPOL BIS-formatted invoices. Many commercially available accounting systems include this functionality.
Validate the format so that the format is correct before sending.
- Connect to an access point.
Many commercially available accounting and ERP systems already have built-in access point capabilities that you can activate, by contacting your software provider.
You can also purchase a connection agreement from an access point provider.
- Confirm the identity of the recipient in the address register, using their organization number.
Confirm the identity of your recipient in ELMA, the address register for Norwegian EHF and PEPPOL BIS receivers. ELMA contains information about Norwegian public and private entities that can receive EHF and PEPPOL BIS documents electronically.
- Send your PEPPOL BIS or EHF-formatted invoice to the recipient identified in ELMA, using your connection to the PEPPOL infrastructure.
Step by step guide to creating an invoice using an approved invoicing portal provider
- Contract with an approved invoicing portal provider to send the invoices to your recipient.
- Create an invoice formatted according to the legal requirements listed above.
- Send the invoices to your recipient from the portal provider.